By Gneiss Hobbs, Buffalo Exchange Tucson
Football season is in full swing! I know, I don’t really care much for the sport either, but years ago I discovered this fun event that goes hand-in-hand with a football game—Tailgating! At first I thought, “Oh geez! Why would I want to hang out in a parking lot with a bunch of crazy football fans?” I quickly realized that it is actually a really good time! You get to eat tons of food and it is totally acceptable to drink an adult beverage in the middle of the day!
Before each UofA home game, some of my family and friends get together and spend a few hours chatting, drinking, playing Corn Hole, and of course eating. We try to get a little more creative with the food than just the common burgers & dogs, so a few weeks ago we enjoyed Sonoran Hotdogs—a local Tucson favorite. Here’s how we made them:
1.Wrap the hotdog in bacon & grill said hotdog until both hotdog and bacon are cooked.
2. Place cooked hotdog in Mexican hotdog roll
- Whole pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Diced onions
- Diced tomatoes (fresh, not canned)
- Secret Sauce (which is ½ cup mayo, 1 tablespoon hotsauce & 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- There is no cheese involved in this hotdog.
4. Lastly, any self-respecting maker of Sonoran Dogs also serves grilled jalapenos or yellow peppers on the side, or canned pickled jalapenos with carrots and onions.
PS check out my handy artwork I did on my nephew…yes I am a “cool aunt”