Hello! Happy 2013! Up here in the PNW, we are mostly trying to avoid being cold & combatting SAD (seasonal affective disorder) with retail therapy (coffee in hand) & justifying all the cool coats & sweaters we bought this winter. The kids in the University District rang in on a few staples that we think you’ll wear with anything and everything in 2013.
1. A chunky scarf. This is a rad accessory, even if you don’t live where the climate is cold & grey all the time. Let’s be real, you cool folk in LA still wear beanies with your Ray Bans & sunny days. Same goes for the cowl. Neutral grey & goes with everything you have. Chunky, with a great cable knit. No brand identifier on this particular specimen, just perfection!
2. A jersey dress. This slouchy, one-size-fits-all-types maxi is the dress to throw on heading out to class or to the Fremont market. It’s a blank slate to dress up or down & layer over. It feels & looks effortless & clean. This one is American Apparel, made with their super-comf cotton blend. This works maxi or short or high-low, no sleeve, three-quarters sleeves, whatever.
3. Boots. You have no excuse not to own a pair. Leather or suede, slouchy or lace up, Justin or Frye, distressed or not, oxblood, gun metal grey or patterned Docs, thigh-highs or ankle booties, 6 inch heel or flat, we love them. Especially since we bought in these lovelies by Vera Wang. We love how they are bedazzled with jewels, but they have a little bit of cowboy in the heel & buckles, & a bit edgy with the textured leather.
4. A leather jacket. The sentiment about the boots applies to the leather jacket. You can pull one off, no matter what your style is. I am not just talking about a motorcycle jacket (but we do like this Crooks & Castles one). It can be feminine or punky, grungy or chic, to your taste. And faux leather literally comes in every color; if you had your heart set on a pink one, they do exist.
5. An oversized sweater. We like the ones that have fitted arms, dropped shoulders, & are a bit on the cropped side. Some of the best ones have a bigger knit, like this Ann Taylor, which has a couple cable twists in the front. But you can’t go wrong with a boxy, cropped, boat-neck sweater, heavy or lightweight.
We love these things & hope you guys do too! Here’s to hoping for many more amazing finds in 2013!
your coffee-addicted friends at U-District, Seattle, Washington
*all these lovely items were hand-selected from our inventory!