By Buffalo Exchange Austin
Step one: Try EVERYTHING on and be ruthless!
Step two: Ask yourself these questions:
- Have I worn this in the last 12 months?
- Is it likely I will wear this again?
- Is this currently in style or does this item accurately represent my style?
- If damaged, will I actually put effort into repairing it?
- If I was shopping right now, would I buy this?
*If you answered no to any of these questions then it’s time to sell or trade at your local Buffalo Exchange!
Step three: Arrange into summer vs. winter
- Remove any items that are stained, damaged, or impractical.
- Store away everyday sneakers and sandals into accessible bins while displaying delicate styles.
- Remove tarnished, tangled, or damaged bags, belts, and accessories.
- Separate fine jewelry from costume jewelry.
When transitioning your wardrobe from fall/winter to spring, if you like to store away the items that you will not be wearing make sure that they are in excellent condition! For example, don’t store away a wool scarf or sweater that has holes or other damage. These are core fall pieces for your wardrobe that you need to start fresh with once that season rolls back around.
Other tricks to keep your closet organized:
Start with your hangers facing one direction at the beginning of the season. As you wear your clothing throughout the season hang the ones that you have worn with the hanger facing the other direction. When you’re ready to clean out your closet or prepare for the new season you can see which items were not touched and are ready to sell or trade.
For a more visual display of which items you are wearing and not wearing try the scarf method. Simply tie a scarf or ribbon onto your closet rod. As you wear your clothing, hang the items that were worn on the opposite side of the scarf from which you started with.
Only put away staple pieces that are classic styles that will not fall out of trend for next season. For example, these awesome wool scarves in a classic grey wool and red plaid are great candidates for storing away for next season. The black wool hat and grey gloves are also items that will not fall out of trend quickly.
Some sweaters that are great to store away for next season are going to be the classic cardigan or cable knits. Sweaters that are in dark grey hues, reds, and blues or classic prints like houndstooth or plaids are going to be some items that will still be on trend for next season.
Hopefully these tips will start you on your way to a cleaner closet—a New Year’s resolution worth keeping!