By Amanda Richards, Buffalo Exchange Tucson
Here is a how to for a fun and easy messy side-bun & DIY sea salt spray.
What you will need:
- Sea Salt Spray (try Bumble & Bumble ‘Surf Spray’ or see our recipe for Sea Salt spray below)
- Curling Iron (1-1/2” diameter barrel)
- Back-Combing Brush
- Bobby Pins
What you need to do:
- Apply mousse, and scrunch hair. Allow hair to air-dry, or diffuse with hair dryer/diffuser attachment.
- Once dry, apply Sea Salt Spray to hair. Curl random sections with curling iron. Set with hairspray.
- Tease several 1” sections of hair at the crown with back-combing brush (use a fine tooth comb if no brush is available), hair spraying each section and setting forward to allow hair spray to dry. Once dry, lightly smooth teased hair back into place.
- Pull hair into a side-ponytail. Twist ends up into a bun and pin into place with bobby pins. Don’t worry about perfection here, the messier the better! Finish with a misting of hairspray to set.
Hair Model Melissa , Stylist Jana Kalnins-Park
Craft-it-Yourself Sea Salt Spray
To create your own sea salt spray and give your hair that “beachy” look, add 1 tablespoon of sea salt to an 8oz bottle of leave-in conditioner spray, shake and mist hair lightly. You can also punch up this recipe by adding essential oils like Ylang-Ylang, Neroli (orange blossom) or lemongrass. Remember, when using essential oils, start small. One or two drops is generally all that is necessary.
Sea Salt image via foodformyfamily.com
Got any tips of your own? Leave us a comment below. Our next installment will be all about the guys! Men’s skin care, grooming tips for facial hair, and how to make your own aftershave.